Healthcare & Partners
Providing Quit Support
Smoking cessation is your most powerful preventative health intervention. You can make a difference. Talk Tobacco can help.
Commercial tobacco contains nicotine, a highly addictive substance found naturally in tobacco. For those wanting to stop using commercial tobacco, it can be very difficult to overcome the nicotine addiction.
As a healthcare provider, allied health professional or service provider you:
- encounter people at "teachable moments" when they may be more inspired to make a change.
- are in a unique position to discuss quitting or reducing smoking or vaping with your Indigenous clients/patients.
Did you know that:
- Tobacco use is responsible for more than 45,000 deaths in Canada annually, and significant additional impacts on quality of life.
- Statistics Canada indicates that 3 in 5 people who smoke intend to quit in the next 6 months, yet only 3-5% are successful without assistance.
How do I discuss commercial tobacco cessation (smoking or vaping) with my client or patient?
Brief contact interventions can powerfully motivate patients or clients to make a quit attempt. Advice from a healthcare provider, allied health professional or service provider can increase success with quitting by up to 30%, and a referral to dedicated cessation services like those offered by Talk Tobacco can further improve those odds.
Talk Tobacco services can be used alone or as a seamless adjunct to clinical intervention.
Follow the 3 A's with every client:
about tobacco use at every visit "Have you used any form of tobacco in the last 7 days?"
your client to quit "Quitting smoking is the best thing you can do for your health."
Talk Tobacco provides:
- Evidence-based, ongoing support for your client or patient at key times during the quitting process
- Tailored education on First Nation, Inuit, Métis and urban Indigenous cessation needs delivered by smoking cessation experts
- Access to nicotine replacement therapy (NRT) samples and coupons
- Access to the latest, innovative cessation programs
- Information about other resources in the community or region you serve.
- Customized webinars and presentations on Talk Tobacco services, smoking or vaping, discussing smoking or vaping with your Indigenous client/patient
Online: Link to online referral form here
Contact us to find out more by
- Phone: 1 833 998-TALK (8255)
- Live Chat: see live chat pop-up box on this page
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org